The global sports medicines market was pegged at ~US$ 5.35 billion in 2020 and is expected to witness a CAGR of ~5.5% during the forecast period.
Sports medicines is a branch of medicine that deals with the physical fitness, treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports and other athletic activities or exercise. Sports medicine can be used to treat wide range of physical conditions, including fractures, strains, sprains, concussions, and dislocations. It can also be used to treat chronic injuries such as degenerative diseases, tendonitis, and overtraining syndrome. Sports medicine is commonly used for rehabilitating professional athletes.
Various factors attributing to the growth of sports medicine market include the rising incidence of sports injuries, growing demand for minimally invasive surgeries, and the rising awareness of people to stay fit and participate in the fitness related activities. Moreover, technological advancements such as 3D printed implants and new product launches are also propelling the global sports medicine market growth. However, high cost of implants and the rising number of product recalls are some of the factors hindering the sports medicine market to a certain extent.
The global sports medicine market has been analyzed from four perspectives: Product, Application, End User, and Region.
Sports Medicine Market by Product
Based on product, the sports medicine market has been segmented into reconstruction products, support & recovery products, and accessories. Reconstruction products segment is further bifurcated into fracture & ligament repair products, implants, arthroscopy devices, prosthetic devices, and orthobiologics. Support & recovery products segment is further categorized into braces & supports, physiotherapy equipment, and compression clothing. Support & recovery products segment is anticipated to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Rising awareness regarding the benefits of physiotherapy and increasing use of braces & supports after surgeries are some of the important factors fueling the segmental growth.
Sports Medicine Market by Application
Based on application, the market has been segmented into knee injuries, shoulder injuries, elbow & wrist injuries, foot & ankle injuries, back & spine injuries, hip & groin injuries, and others. Knee injuries segment held the largest share of the sports medicine market in 2020. Majority of injuries that happen during sports activities are knee injuries. Therefore, their high incidence rate is the major factor driving the demand for sports knee injury products.
Sports Medicine Market by End User
Based on end user, the market has been segmented into hospitals, physiotherapy centers and clinics, and ambulatory surgery centers. Hospitals segment held the largest share of the sports medicine market in 2020. Hospitals being the first choice of patients for conducting diagnostic procedures and thus, it is the major factor fueling the growth of this end user segment.
Sports Medicine Market by Region
Regionally, the global sports medicine market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World (RoW). North America dominated the market for sports medicine, holding the largest market share in 2020. Greater popularity of sports in North America and growing number of sports injuries among athletes are key drivers of the regional market. Moreover, dense presence of regional players and incessant launch of new and advanced products are some other factors driving the market growth in this region.
Some of the prominent players operating in the global sports medicine market includes:-
- Arthrex, Inc.
- Smith & Nephew
- DePuy Synthes
- Conmed Corporation
- Zimmer Biomet
- Breg, Inc.
- Wright Medical Group N.V.
- DJO (Colfax Corporation)
- Medtronic, among others
- In January 2021, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) based in Little Rock entered into partnership with University of Arkansas athletics department to provide sports medicine trained care for Razorback athletes.
- In September 2020, Smith & Nephew launched the Healicoil Knotless Suture Anchor for rotator cuff repair.
- In June 2020, Smith & Nephew launched Intellio connected tower platform to connect and control sports medicine systems. This centralized app utilizes the Lens connected tower app for remote management and image capturing.
Key Questions Addressed by the Report
- What is the current and future prospect of the market?
- What are the key trends governing the market?
- Who are the key players operating in the market, and how intense is the segment rivalry?
- Which segment currently holds lion’s share of the market and which segment is expected to grow in the coming years?
- Which regional markets are expected to witness the highest growth in the coming years?